Shropshire Council

Concerned about someone?

How can I report abuse?

We know it can be difficult to report abuse, but if you don’t help, who will? You can report safeguarding concerns by phone or online at anytime.

In an emergency dial 999, but for other calls to the police please ring 101.

If you prefer to report a safeguarding concern by phone ring our First Point of Contact team on 0345 678 9021 Monday to Thursday, 9am to 5pm, and Friday 9am to 4pm.

Outside these hours, please phone the Emergency Social Work Duty Team on 0345 678 9040.

Please note, we'll respond to online enquiries within ten working days. However, in an emergency please contact us using the numbers on this page.

Report your concern online »

What do I do if I’m worried about myself or someone I know experiencing or being at risk of abuse or neglect?

Living a life free from harm and abuse is everyone’s fundamental human right. We all need to act as good neighbours and citizens in looking out for one another, and seeking to prevent the isolation that can lead to abusive situations and put adults at risk of harm. One of the fundamental principles of communities is that we're all fair, compassionate and caring to each other.

Many agencies in Shropshire are working together in a partnership called the Keeping Adults Safe in Shropshire Board (KASiSB) to prevent abuse and respond quickly when we think someone may be continuing to be at risk of abuse or neglect. The three agencies that must be members of the board are the council, the police and the clinical commissioning group in our area.

Please do your part to prevent abuse from occurring to others. If you find out about something and the person with your support can't manage to stop it, please speak to someone who will be able to help like the police, the person’s doctor or someone supporting the adult affected.

What will you need to know?

Apart from the persons details and information about the actual concern, we also need to know if the adult at risk of abuse or neglect has care and support needs. By this we mean someone who may:

  • be elderly and frail due to ill health, physical disability or cognitive impairment
  • have a learning disability
  • have a physical disability and/or a sensory impairment
  • have mental health needs, including dementia or a personality disorder
  • have a long-term illness/condition
  • misuse substances or alcohol
  • be a carer such as a family member/friend who provides personal assistance and care to adults, and is subject to harm

Who might be more at risk?

Adults can be more at risk of abuse when they:

  • need help washing and dressing
  • live alone and have few visitors
  • find it hard to communicate
  • depend on others to look after their money
  • do not have someone to speak up for them

Who might be an abuser?

Abuse is carried out by many different people, but it's usually someone who is known to and trusted by the victim, for instance:

  • a family member
  • a partner
  • a neighbour
  • a care worker
  • volunteer
  • a friend
  • doorstep callers and scammers