What is backdated benefit?
Entitlement to housing benefit and council tax benefit is normally awarded from the Monday after we receive your claim form. However, in certain circumstances, it may be possible to award benefit from an earlier date. This is known as 'backdated' benefit.
The maximum length of time that backdated benefit can be awarded is:
- six months for working age customers
- three months for pension credit age customers (60 for women, 65 for men)
Working age men aged 60-64
There are separate rules for working age men aged 60 - 64. Even though they are working age, they are still able to claim pension credit. These rules are as follows:
If the claimant or partner receives income support or jobseekers allowance (income-based), or employment and support allowance (income-related), we can backdate for six months
If the claimant receives pension credit and the partner does not receive income support or jobseekers allowance (income-based), or employment and support allowance (income-related), we can backdate for three months.
How do I make a claim for backdated benefit?
If you want to make a request for backdated benefit, you will need to tell Shropshire Council’s Benefits Service why you want the claim to be backdated. We also need to know the date you want it backdated to and why you did not claim earlier. You will also need to show 'good cause' as to why you did not claim benefit from the earlier date.
Some examples of 'good cause' could include things such as:
- You were ill and had no one to claim on your behalf
- You could not reasonably have been expected to have known your rights - for example, where there have been changes in the law
- You were wrongly advised by someone at the council or a Department for Work and Pensions office that you would not be entitled to housing benefit and/or council tax benefit
- You are unable to manage your affairs and do not have a representative who deals with your affairs
- You have become liable for council tax for a past period
You must be able to show that 'good cause' was present for the whole period that you are requesting the backdated benefit to be awarded for.
Please follow the link on this page if you would like to make a request for backdated benefit online.
If you are not sure whether you can get backdated benefit, please contact the Benefits Service.