Shropshire Council

Report a hate crime

Shropshire is committed to take action on hate crime or any incident motivated by prejudice and hate. 

Report it

There are various ways in which you can report a hate crime:

  • Call 999 in an emergency
  • Emergency SMS Text message
  • Email or
  • Call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111
  • Call the Police on 101 (non-emergency)
  • Call Victim Support on 0300 303 1977 (free and confidential)

Don't want to report directly to the police?

  • Citizens Advice Bureau number is 03444 991100

One of the ways in which we work together in Shropshire to tackle hate crime and hate incidents is through partnership working. We want to encourage people to report hate crime or hate incidents either by directly contacting the police or through other organisations and agencies.

There's a county-wide approach which supports third party reporting. This is when a victim or witness of a hate crime or hate incident prefers not to report it directly to the police, but still wants action to be taken and reports it to a non-police organisation. These third-party organisations then communicate directly with the police and other relevant agencies on behalf of the victim/witness.

Examples of third-party places to report hate crimes and hate incidents in Shropshire include Citizens Advice Bureaux, local colleges, health services and housing associations, and customer service points for public sector bodies such as Shropshire Council and the Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service. Others involved include voluntary sector organisations like Home Start and Victim Support.

There are also a number of buildings across the Shropshire area where you can report a hate crime. Take a look at our hate crime reporting leaflet to view details for each location.

Hearing impaired?

Take a look at this leaflet and also the emergencySMS website to find out how you can report emergencies by text (this option is only recommended if you have no other way to report).