We are proud to say that this event has become increasingly successful with greater attendance and widespread publicity reaching out far and wide, both nationally and indeed internationally!
The 2014 exhibition took place on Wednesday 14 May and was a good opportunity for networking, gaining knowledge and sharing information with others. We focused on the promotion of health and wellbeing and there was greater emphasis placed on this.
There was a brilliant opportunity to visit the Eye Pod. When entering the pod visitors gained an insight into the four most common causes of sight loss in the UK via electronic screens that provide a view of the outside world simulating each eye condition. There was alsotailored fact sheets available containing public health information, policy recommendations and local prevalence statistics.
The exhibition showcased many products and services. There were demonstrations by exhibitors. Continuing from 2013's theme the emphasis was very much on the promotion of health and well-being. It also included:
- Eye Screening by the Local Optical Committee, Hearing Screening by Shrewsbury and Telford Audiology and Carers’ Assessments by Shropshire Council
- Guide Dogs’ Sensory Tunnel and obstacle course
Independent Living: The Latest Assistive Technology
- Respexi is a new touchscreen tablet that provides a “window to the world” by way of a simple interface for instant messaging, reminders, face-to-face video calls, photographs and radio. This helps create a safer home-living environment, enabling people to stay living in their own homes for longer. Respexi offers peace-of-mind to family, friends and carers. This was an all-day event.
- Braille Forum, portable Braille Devices working with Android, IPhones and IPad and Seeing Skills Sessions by Macular Society.
- Sports taster sessions, including a climbing wall provided by the Sports Village to encourage good health and wellbeing.
- Cycling opportunities with bikes to suit all abilities: including the Smoothie Bike!
- Shropshire Council Public Health will include Shropshire Heart Age Testing and Health Shropshire will include smoking cessation, physical activity, healthy eating, weight and alcohol management.
There were sighted guides, BSL and deafblind interpreters available.
The exhibition showcased many products and services, and there was another opportunity to take advantage of the complimentary eye screening.
The exhibition was planned and organised by The See and Hear Shropshire Partnership which includes Shropshire Council’s Vision Technology and Training and the Sensory Impairment Team, Sight Loss Shropshire, the Guide Dogs Association and the Rural Community Council.