Don't miss this great opportunity to check the health of your eyes
We would like to thank all those who attended the See and Hear Exhibition last year, and are very pleased to announce that the event will take place again in 2014.
We are proud to say that the event has become increasingly successful with greater attendance and widespread publicity reaching out far and wide, both nationally and indeed internationally!
As you will already be aware, the day is a good opportunity for networking, gaining knowledge and sharing information with others. We will be focusing also on the promotion of health and wellbeing and there will be greater emphasis placed on this.
Don’t miss a brilliant opportunity to visit the Eye Pod. When entering the pod visitors can gain an insight into the four most common causes of sight loss in the UK via electronic screens that provide a view of the outside world simulating each eye condition. There will also be available tailored fact sheets containing public health information, policy recommendations and local prevalence statistics.
The exhibition will take place again at:
Shrewsbury Sports Village - Wednesday 14 May 2014
Who should attend?
The day is a great opportunity for peer support, networking, gaining knowledge and sharing information with others and is important to everyone; it highlights how Healthy Lifestyles can prevent avoidable Sight Loss
Refreshments, including a hog roast, will be available for purchase.
The exhibition will showcase many products and services. There will be demonstrations by exhibitors. Continuing from last year’s theme the emphasis this time will be very much on the promotion of health and well-being. It will also include:
- Eye Screening by the Local Optical Committee, Hearing Screening by Shrewsbury and Telford Audiology and Carers’ Assessments by Shropshire Council
- Guide Dogs’ Sensory Tunnel and obstacle course
Independent Living: The Latest Assistive Technology
- Respexi is a new touchscreen tablet that provides a “window to the world” by way of a simple interface for instant messaging, reminders, face-to-face video calls, photographs and radio. This helps create a safer home-living environment, enabling people to stay living in their own homes for longer. Respexi offers peace-of-mind to family, friends and carers. This will be an all-day event, sessions 10.30-11.30am, 2-3pm please book or drop in at other times. Please email your booking form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Braille Forum, portable Braille Devices working with Android, IPhones and IPad (follow the link for more information and to book your place) and Seeing Skills Sessions by Macular Society. Please email your booking form to email@example.com
- Sports taster sessions, including a climbing wall provided by the Sports Village to encourage good health and wellbeing
- Cycling opportunities with bikes to suit all abilities: don’t miss the Smoothie Bike!
- Shropshire Council Public Health will include Shropshire Heart Age Testing and Health Shropshire will include smoking cessation, physical activity, healthy eating, weight and alcohol management
There will be sighted guides, BSL and deafblind interpreters available.
The exhibition will showcase many products and services, and there will be another opportunity to take advantage of the complimentary eye screening.
Ensure you have booked your place on the Braille Forum and Respexi event!
Entrance is free, and there will be a free shuttle bus every half an hour from Shrewsbury train station to the Sports Village, starting at 9.30am.
If you would like to attend as an exhibitor, please complete our application form. Our list of exhibitors (to date) demonstrates the range of companies, organisations and services which will be represented in 2014.
The exhibition is being planned and organised by The See and Hear Shropshire Partnership which includes Shropshire Council’s Vision Technology and Training and the Sensory Impairment Team, Sight Loss Shropshire, the Guide Dogs Association and the Rural Community Council.