What do we do?
The Tree Service provides specialist information and advice on all manner of issues related to the planting, protection, management and care of Shropshire’s trees, woodland and hedgerows. Services include:
- provide advice on planning applications that may affect significant trees or hedges
- designate Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs) to protect important trees and determine applications to work on protected trees (ie trees subject to TPOs or within a Conservation Area)
- deal with applications to remove countryside hedgerows and ‘high hedge’ complaints
- conduct programmed and responsive inspections to determine the condition and safety of Shropshire Council’s trees
- provide tree reports and work recommendations to help sustainable management of the Council’s trees and woodland resource
- prepare Council tree-related policies and guidance and participate in the production of other relevant corporate plans and policies
- enhance the contribution of trees and woodland to the natural environment through working with colleagues, the public and other stakeholders on a range of tree related projects
How can we help you?
The answers to some frequently asked questions (FAQs) and further information on some popular themes can be found by clicking on the tabs to the left of this page. You can also follow the links on this page to find details of current projects, related information and online services and attachments.
You are welcome to contact the Service for information or advice on any tree-related issue. Often, if we can not help you ourselves, we will be able to put you in touch with someone who can!
Our Tree Safety policy
Shropshire Council's tree safety policy reflects the full range of landholdings (with consequent responsibilities of tree ownership) for the unitary authority. In adopting and adhering to this policy the Council is fulfilling its obligations and proving its commitment to manage tree-related risks, both for its own trees and those in the ownership of others that may affect Council land or the public highway.
Shropshire Council recognises its corporate environmental responsibility and as such we will endeavour to plant a suitable replacement for every tree felled as a result of our tree safety surveys.
A copy of the policy is attached below.