Rural services in Shropshire
The Commission for Rural Communities Rural Services Data Series establishes the level of services available to households in rural areas. The number of households within set distances of 11 key services is looked at. These services include:
- banks and building societies
- cash points
- doctors surgeries
- job centres
- public houses
- petrol stations
- post offices
- primary schools
- secondary schools
- NHS dentist
In 2007 high percentages of households were a significant distance from a number of services in Shropshire:
- 29.4% are greater than 10km from a job centre
- 6% are greater than 10km from a supermarket
- 4.6% are greater than 10km from a bank or building society
- South Shropshire had the highest percentage of households more than 2km from six of the 11 key services.
The percentage of households within 2km of a job centre, GP and petrol station has declined since 2000. The percentage of households within 2km of a cash point, primary school, post office, supermarket and bank or building society has increased since 2000.
To view, download or print the full report please select the attachment on this page.
Please note that many of the facts and figures available on these pages relate to the administrative area covered by Shropshire Council and therefore, exclude Telford and Wrekin. For information on Telford and Wrekin please select the link on this page.