All governing bodies are required to appoint a governor to take a specific interest in SEN. Often this governor also takes on responsibility for looked after children and child protection.
The attached booklet on this page gives information on the role and responsibilities of governing bodies in relation to SEN in schools.
The following DfE booklets are available on request from the DfE publications centre (0845 602 2260)
- Making a Difference – A Guide for SEN Governors (Ref DfES 0035/2003)
- The SEN Code of Practice (Ref 581/2001)
- The SEN Toolkit (Ref 558/2001)
There are also some links to websites where you can download other documents that may be useful.
- SEN Code of Practice
- SEN - A guide for Parents and Carers (Ref DCSF – 00639 – 2008 – BKT – EN)
- Information about disability and the Disability Discrimination Act.