Located to the north-east of Shrewsbury, within the Battlefield Enterprise Park, are premises built specifically for food and drink production, creating the only purpose-built food enterprise centre in the West Midlands.
Here, alongside food grade units, businesses can benefit from specialist business support from Heart of England Fine Foods (HEFF), who manage the centre on behalf of its owners Shropshire Council.
There has been amazing interest in the centre, and within a year of operation the centre is currently at 80% occupancy.
The centre comprises 2,224 mē (24,000 sq ft) of food grade production facilities and 371 mē (4,000 sq ft) of administration space, including offices, conference and meeting facilities and a demonstration kitchen.
There are twelve purpose-built production units, consisting of eight at 139mē (1,500 sq ft) and four at 278mē (3,000 sq ft).
What is included with each unit?
Each unit has been built to the same specification and includes:
- A large production area
- A walk-in cold room
- A drystore or high-risk production area with separate lighting and 240v sockets
- An office, changing area and toilet
- Allocated parking and refuse collection area
- Connections for gas, electricity, telephone/internet and water
- Insulated white walls and ceilings that are washable from ceiling to floor
- Food-grade painted floor with central drain and grease collection trap and pit
- Three phase power to walls with 240v in both ceiling and floor
- Stainless steel knee-operated hand wash sink, washing up sink and cleaning sink
- Separate ‘goods in’ and ‘goods out’ with electric shutter doors, designed to take euro pallets
- Air handling unit to control the temperature in the production area
The walls, floors and ceiling surfaces meet BRC and EFSIS standards -
the units are also built to BREEAM ‘very good’ standards providing:
- Solar panel heating system for hot water
- Rainwater collection for toilet flushing
- Under-floor heating
- Low energy automatic lighting
To view the units and find out more about the facilities available to support food and drink businesses, visit the Shropshire Food Centre website by following the link on this page.