Library stock management policy
Shropshire Libraries enables and encourages access for everyone to unbiased information, knowledge and works of imagination:
- providing opportunities and support for formal and informal learning
- providing and promoting timely, accurate and useful information
promoting the enjoyment of reading
- contributing to enjoyment and quality of life
- encouraging participation in cultural, democratic and economic activities
- contributing to the development of healthy, caring and socially inclusive communities
Through a published Library Stock Management Policy, Shropshire Libraries aims to:
- select and provide such material as will meet the library requirements of the community
- maximise the use of limited resources by ensuring every item of stock justifies its place in the library, and that stock is promoted and exploited in such a way that it is used to its full potential
- promote a unified approach to the selection and development of stock countywide according to the aims and objectives of the library service.
More specifically, these aims are met by:
- providing a wide range of popular material to meet the leisure needs of the community, reflecting tastes, interests, age groups, language and reading ability
- providing material in alternative formats such as large print and talking books
- acquiring material to support the educational requirements of the community in all aspects of popular learning and study
- providing up to date accurate reference material to meet the information requirements of the community
- recognizing readers’ changing needs for books and other material through customer comments, issues, library use, requests, outreach contacts, media and other communication channels
supplying and promoting material to attract a wider and more varied readership to our libraries
- providing material that will reflect and support the social, economic and cultural aspirations of all sections of the community
- providing material that will promote and support race equality and an understanding of cultural diversity
- developing a training programme for staff in stock management
evaluating the performance of stock.
If you wish to read the complete policy please email and we can supply a copy.