Caravan site licence
The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 requires land to be used as a caravan site to be licensed by us. A licence is necessary for the protection of public health and safety and to ensure that health and safety regulations are adhered to, eg adequate amenities are provided and fire precautions are in place.
A caravan site includes any place where a caravan (including mobile or ‘park’ home) is situated and occupied for human habitation, including touring sites and single sites.
Exemptions listed under Schedule 1 of the Caravan Sites Act
- a caravan sited within the curtilage of a dwelling and its use is incidental to the dwelling. This means it can't be occupied separately
- a single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months
- up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months
- sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club
- sites of up to five caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only
- sites occupied by us – these are usually gypsy sites
- sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen
- a site for tents can only be used for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months
Licences have conditions which include:
- the type of caravan eg residential, static holiday or touring
- the permitted density (the number per acre/hectare) and the spacing between caravans
- water supply and drainage; lavatory and washing facilities
- fire precautions and electrical installations
Licence conditions don't cover issues that relate to the agreement between site owner and occupier. We do have powers to take action against site owners who harass or illegally evict site occupiers. Your licence will last as long as you’ve got planning permission for the caravan site.
Download the form, complete it on your home computer, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.orgDownload the form
Download the form, print it out, fill it in and post your application along with the fee if applicable to:
The Licensing Team, Shirehall, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY2 6NDDownload the form