The Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) on Sustainable Design (Part 1) was adopted by the Council’s Cabinet on 13 July 2011.
The adopted guidance implements Policy CS6 of the Shropshire Core Strategy (Sustainable Design and Development Principles). This policy requires all development to meet minimum requirements within a Sustainability Checklist, which is set out within the Sustainable Design SPD.
Given the scope of the SPD, the guidance and checklist are being prepared in two parts:
- Part 1 of the SPD and checklist focuses entirely on sustainability elements, outlining standards for water, energy and waste management.
- Part 2 will focus on place making, outlining standards for elements such as design, transport, ecology and recreation and open space and will be developed during 2012.
The minimum standards established in the SPD set out the relevant sustainable building requirements for developers and householders. They are intended to provide a clear and consistent approach for designers and developers, and to promote the delivery of high quality, low carbon development. Optional higher standards also encourage more ambitious responses to the challenge of climate change.
The SPD has been subject to a range of consultation opportunities consistent with both statutory requirements and the Council’s own guidelines. Input from consultees is detailed in the Statement of Consultation which, together with the adopted SPD, can be downloaded by selecting the relevant attachments at the bottom of this page.
The adopted Sustainable Design (Part 1) SPD, along with the Statement of Consultation, and the Adoption Statement are available to view on this page.
Hard copies of the SPD, the Consultation Statement and the Adoption Statement can also be viewed at Shropshire Council’s Area Headquarters within normal office hours:
- Bridgnorth: Westgate, Bridgnorth WV16 5AA
- Ludlow: Stone House, Corve Street, Ludlow, Shropshire SY8 1DG
- Oswestry: Castle View, Oswestry, Shropshire SY11 1JR
- Shrewsbury: Shirehall, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury SY2 6ND
- Shrewsbury: Guildhall, Frankwell Quay, Shrewsbury SY3 8HQ
- Wem: Edinburgh House, New Street, Wem, Shropshire SY4 5DB
They are also available to view at all Libraries and Customer Service Points in Shropshire within normal opening hours.