What is a Re-affirmation of Vows ceremony?
This is a ceremony suitable for any couple who have already contracted a marriage or civil partnership and want to celebrate their relationship by re-affirming their vows in a unique and personal way.
These ceremonies are often associated with different occasions, such as a special anniversary (for example, 10 years or 25 years), and can also be relevant where a relationship has been through a particularly stressful period and the couple wish to renew their commitment to each other.
The words of the ceremony are used as an outline. You can personalise your ceremony by including readings and music. You can ask family members or friends to be witnesses at the ceremony, give new wedding rings or indeed rededicate your existing rings.
- opening words
- exchange of rings
- signing of the record of ceremony
- presentation of the certificate (this will have no legal status) and closing words
A commemorative certificate will be presented as a memento of the occasion, though these certificates have no legal standing.
Where can the ceremony be held?
At any registration service ceremony room across the Shropshire Council area on a weekday or Saturday, or at any of the approved venues in Shropshire at a mutually convenient time, Saturdays and Sundays included.
How do you arrange a re-affirmation of vows ceremony?
You should first contact the Shropshire Registration Office on 0345 678 9016 or via email to discuss and arrange your ceremony requirements.
You will be required to produce your marriage or civil partnership certificate to the registration service officers at the time of booking your ceremony. You will also be required to pay a booking fee:
- Booking fee for ceremonies booked within one year of the date of the ceremony (deductible from the ceremony fee but not refundable) - £45.00
- Booking fee for ceremonies booked over one year but under two years from the date of the ceremony (additional fee, not deductible from the ceremony fee, not refundable or transferable) - £55.00
What is the charge for this ceremony?
The charges for this ceremony from 1 April 2012 to 31 March 2013 are as follows:
For a ceremony at the Shropshire Register Office, Shrewsbury or in any of the registration service ceremony rooms located in Ludlow, Oswestry, Wem, Bridgnorth and Bishop's Castle:
- Monday to Friday or Saturday morning (before 12.30pm) = £175.00
- Saturday afternoon (after 12.30pm) = £220.00
For a ceremony at an approved venue (see link on this page):
- Monday to Friday = £210.00
- Saturday = £235.00
- Sunday or Bank Holiday (excluding Christmas Day and Good Friday) = £245.00
- These ceremonies have no legal status.
- You cannot have any religious content in your ceremony.
- The ceremony will be conducted by registration service officers, acting in their capacity as celebrants and not registration officers.
- If you doubt the validity of your marriage, please contact your local register office as it may be appropriate to have a legally binding marriage ceremony.