What is a naming ceremony?
Shropshire Registration Service is pleased to offer the opportunity for parents to celebrate the birth and naming of their child with their family and friends.
The words of the ceremony are used as an outline. You can personalise your ceremony by including readings and by asking other people to be involved in some way by making promises. For example, you may appoint chosen friends or family to make promises regarding the welfare of your child. You can download our example wording, suggested readings and suggested room layout via the links at the bottom of this page.
- opening words
- naming of the child
- parents' promises for the raising of their child
- chosen family or friends promises
- grandparents' promises
- signing of the record of ceremony
- presentation of the certificate (this will have no legal status) and closing words
The ceremony will be conducted by registration service personnel, acting in their capacity as celebrants and not registration officers.
A commemorative certificate will be presented as a memento of the occasion; these certificates have no legal standing.
Where can the ceremony be held?
At any registration service ceremony room across the Shropshire Council area on a weekday or Saturday, or at any of the approved venues in Shropshire at a mutually convenient time, Saturdays and Sundays included.
How do you arrange a civil naming ceremony?
You should first contact the Shropshire Register Office on 0345 678 9016 or via email to discuss and arrange your ceremony requirements.
You will be required to produce the child's birth certificate to the registration service officers at the time of booking your ceremony. You will also be required to pay a booking fee:
- Booking fee for ceremonies booked within one year of the date of the ceremony (deductible from the ceremony fee but not refundable) - £45.00
- Booking fee for ceremonies booked over one year but under two years from the date of the ceremony (additional fee, not deductible from the ceremony fee, not refundable or transferable) - £55.00
What is the charge for this ceremony?
The charges for this ceremony from 1 April 2012 to 31 March 2013 are as follows:
For a ceremony at the Shropshire Register Office, Shrewsbury or in any of the registration service ceremony rooms located in Ludlow, Oswestry, Wem, Bridgnorth and Bishop's Castle:
- Monday to Friday or Saturday morning (before 12.30pm) - £175.00
- Saturday afternoon (after 12.30pm) - £220.00
For a ceremony at an approved venue (see link on this page)
- Monday to Friday - £210.00
- Saturday - £235.00
- Sunday or bank holiday (excluding Christmas Day and Good Friday) - £245.00
- These ceremonies have no legal status
- You cannot have any religious content in your naming ceremony
- The ceremony cannot be used to change a child's name. You will be required to produce the child's birth certificate to the registration service officer at the time of booking your ceremony
- The registration service officers will not be acting in their official capacity as registration officers.