Starting infant or primary school
Children can start school in reception at the beginning of the academic year following their fourth birthday.
When to apply
Children who were born between 1 September 2014 and 31 August 2015 can start primary school from September 2019.
See the table below to check when your child can start school.
- An academic year starts in September with what's known as the autumn term.
|Child born between||Start school from||Apply for a place from||Closing date for applications|
|01/09/2014 - 31/08/2015||September 2019||October 2018||15 January 2019|
|01/09/2015 - 31/08/2016||September 2020||October 2019||15 January 2020|
|01/09/2016 - 31/08/2017||September 2021||October 2020||15 January 2021|
How to apply
Use the Citizen Portal to apply for an infant or primary school place. Use the guidance notes attached to this page under 'Related documents' to help you with your application.Apply now »
Why apply online?
- It's quick and easy
- You receive an email to confirm your application has been received
- You can change your application up to the closing date
- It's available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- You can find out which school your child has been allocated before your letter arrives
If you have difficulties making your application online, or have no email address, you can make a telephone application by contacting the School Admissions Team.