Know your healthcare options
When the cold weather, illness or injury causes you to need care this winter, make sure you know the best place to go across Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin.
Expert advice, whenever you need it!
In person: think pharmacy first!
Starting to feel unwell? If you’re older or more vulnerable, it’s important to nip illness in the bud by speaking to a pharmacist. You don’t need an appointment and many have private consultation areas, so they're a good first port of call. Your pharmacist will say if you need further medical attention.
By Phone: NHS 111
If you’re not sure which NHS service you need, call NHS111 for free. A professionally trained advisor will ask you questions to assess your symptoms and then give you the advice you need, or direct you straightaway to the right service, including an ambulance.
Your prescription for a healthier winter...
- Over 65, have a long-term condition, have a child under five or caring for someone who couldn't manage without your help? Get the flu jab from your GP or a local pharmacy –there’s still time and you’ll join millions of people who are better protected against this nasty infection. Find out where you can get a flu jab for free.
- Keep warm – heat the house to 18oc (64 F) and wear multiple layers of light clothing if the temperature drops.
- Keep your medical cupboard well stocked. Having pain killers, cold and flu remedies, hydration sachets and tummy settlers will cover most winter illnesses and mean you don’t have to go out in the cold when you’re feeling your worst.
- Prescribed antibiotics? Always finish the course, even if you feel better. Never share them and respect your doctor’s decision if he/she doesn’t prescribe them - they are doing so for a clinical reason.
- Make a note of any important services/contacts.