Shropshire Council

Covid test and trace support payments

If you're on a low income you may be entitled to a test and trace support payment of £500 if you:

  1. Have been told to stay at home and self-isolate by the NHS Test and Trace service, either because you've tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive, or
  2. Are the parent or guardian of a child or young person* who has been told to self-isolate and are required to be at home to provide care or supervision for them, and
  3. Are employed or self-employed, and
  4. Are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result, and
  5. Are currently receiving universal credit, working tax credit, income-based employment and support allowance, income-based jobseeker’s allowance, income support, housing benefit and/or pension credit.

*The Parent or Guardian scheme applies in respect of children aged 15 years old or under, or young people aged between 16 and 25 years old who have an education, health and care plan in place

Care or Education must be accessed through a registered provider

If you are not in receipt of a qualifying benefit we may still be able to help you, if you meet the first four criteria above, and:

  • Have applied for one of the qualifying benefits and are awaiting the outcome; or
  • Are awaiting the outcome of an appeal against refusal to award a qualifying benefits, or
  • Are entitled to Council Tax Support, or
  • Depending on payment cycle of wages, in the four full weeks/or 1 month preceding their first date of isolation, have an average gross weekly income* of less than:
    • £372 Single person
    • £575 Couple, and:
  • As a household have less than £3000 in available capital (after normal expenditure)


  • Are a Householder responsible for a mortgage, or
  • Are a Tenant, Subtenant or Lodger responsible for rent, or
  • Are neither of the above but are suffering other financial hardship that is impacting on your health/wellbeing or ability to return to work following isolation

You may be asked to complete an income and expenditure assessment form.

*Gross weekly income does not include Personal Independence Payments, Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance, Child benefit, Child tax credit and child maintenance payments

Please apply by clicking the green button and telling us about your circumstances when prompted. Applications must be submitted within 42 days of your first day of self-isolation.

Do you fulfil the criteria above? For further information, and to apply, just click on the green button.

Apply now »

If you don't wish to apply online you can do so by calling 0345 678 9002.

During the application you will be asked to provide:

  • A bank statement showing the applicant as the named account holder, and
  • Proof of self-employment e.g. recent business bank statement (covering the two months prior to their first date of isolation), most recent set of accounts or evidence of self-assessment returns, or
  • Your most recent wage slip (prior to their first date of isolation)

Where the you are isolating because you have tested positive for Covid-19 or have been in close contact with somebody who has tested positive for Covid-19:

  • A valid 8 digit account ID (CTAS number) issued by TEST AND TRACE

This will be verified on the NHS TEST AND TRACE system, if the 8 digit number cannot be traced the application WILL BE refused in the first instance.

Please ensure that you have registered your details with Test and Trace by following the link in your isolation notice, and go to to check that you have registered their correct date of birth and postcode 

Where you are the primary carer for a Child aged 15 years old or under who has been required to isolate:

  • The Notice from the school or child care provider informing you that your child is required to isolate

Where you are the primary carer for a for a Young Person aged between 16 and 25 years old:

  • a screenshot of the young person’s NHS COVID-19 App notification telling them to self-isolate, AND
  • evidence of the young person has an Education, Health and Care Plan.

We may ask you to provide further evidence and information to allow us to assess your application.

If you're struggling financially due to Covid-19 or for any other reason, please visit our benefits page to see what help is available from us.

You may also be eligible for support from our Covid-19 emergency fund. For more details on how to access this funding please take a look at the Covid-19 emergency assistance funding webpage.

Applicants who are overdrawn should follow our advice.