From 1 April 2019
Those customers wishing to attend a late appointment on a Wednesday to give notice of marriage or civil partnership will need to speak to a member of staff at the Register Office to book the appointment.
These appointments will cost £20 which is payable by card at the time of booking the appointment.
This fee is entirely separate to the statutory fee which everyone pays for giving notice.
It is possible to apply to Her Majesty’s Passport Office to have a passport issued in the name you wish to assume after marriage or civil partnership. You will need a PD2 form which is available on the Gov.uk website. Application is possible within 3 months of the date of your intended marriage or civil partnership. The form is in 2 parts, one part will require completion by an official of the registration service where your ceremony or formation will take place. Shropshire Registration Service makes a charge of £10.00 for this service (payable on application).
What is a civil partnership?
Civil partnership allows same sex and (from 2/12/2019) opposite sex couples across the United Kingdom to have their relationships legally recognised. After registration, couples who have entered into a Civil Partnership have the same rights as married couples in areas like tax, social security, inheritance and workplace benefits
Who can register?
- Up to 2/12/2019 – 2 people of the same sex
- On and after 2/12/2019 – 2 people of opposite sex
The couple must be:
- Aged 16 or over (consent will be needed if under 18 years)
- Not already married or in a civil partnership
Not closely related to each other by blood or marriage.
How do we register a civil partnership?
- Decide where your civil partnership is to be held (these may be held at any register office, local authority ceremony room, approved venue) It is not possible to have a civil partnership in religious premises. Please speak to your local registration service to discuss (0345 678 9016) If you do not know where your local register office is based please check here.
- Decide when you would like it to be held
- Speak to the venue to check availability
- Contact the register office in which the venue is situated to arrange for the attendance of registrars.
- Make an arrangement with your local registrars to complete your legal preliminaries (these can be done up to 12 months in advance)
If you live in the Shropshire Council Area, you can make an appointment to complete your notices of civil partnership on line using our booking system.
You will need to provide some evidence of your name, age, date of birth, nationality and address to the registrar when you give notice. There are very specific requirements around acceptable documents, see the information on the prescribed evidence webpage.
The most important things to do are:
- Get advice and information. Your local register office or the website of the general register office can help
- Decide where you want to register. You can register in the same sorts of places where you can get married - view the list of approved venues. For information about holding a civil partnership formation in a religious building please contact us on 0345 678 9016
- Fix the date. If you're registering at an approved venue, remember to check that the registrar can attend on that day
- Arrange to give notice of your intention to register. Find out more about giving notice and evidence required for this process
- Get registered. A civil partnership is formed when each person signs the civil partnership schedule in front of the registrar and two witnesses. If you want a ceremony around these formalities, you should discuss it with the registration service and the venue. However, no religious service can take place whilst the civil partnership registrar is officiating at the formation of a civil partnership. This includes where the civil partnership formation is taking place in a religious building
If either of the parties are subject to immigration control, you'll need to go together to a specially designated register office. For more information on this take a look at our immigration control page.
Government’s announcement of Opposite Sex Civil Partnerships
Following the Governments announcement on 2 October 2019. Opposite sex couples will be able to give notice to enter into a civil partnership from 2 December 2019.
For further details contact Shropshire Registration Service on 0345 678 9016.