Shropshire Council

DECs and EPCs guidance

Display energy certificates (DECs) show the actual energy usage of a building, the 'operational rating', and help the public see the energy efficiency of a building. This is based on the energy consumption of the building as recorded by gas, electricity and oil usage.

All buildings with floor areas over 250m2 and open to the public require a DEC. The DEC should be displayed at all times, and be clearly visible to the public. A DEC is always accompanied by an advisory report that lists cost-effective measures to improve the energy rating of the building. The DEC has to be renewed annually, but the advisory report lasts for seven years.

EPCs assess energy performance and are a requirement for a new building or when significant retrofitting is undertaken. The government has introduced minimum energy efficiency standards (MEES) for the private rented sector, setting out minimum standards for EPCs which are ramped up at set intervals. We use a qualified consultant to carry out both our DEC and EPC assessments.

A guide to DECs can be found on the Communities and Local Government website. Additionally you may find records searching by postcode: