Home efficiency - guidance for retrofits and new builds
EPC (energy performance certificate)
An EPC (energy performance certificate) is required for properties when constructed, sold, or let. It provides the energy performance and what you can do to improve it. Searchable by postcode, the EPC provides valuable information on not only the expected energy and carbon performance, but also the expected running costs for any given property. Its recommendation report lists and prioritises efficiency, next steps by capital cost and expected savings and payback period.
Keep Shropshire Warm
The average household wastes £250 a year. Poor insulation, inefficient appliances and bad habits are costing you money. To counter this, Keep Shropshire Warm offers free and impartial advice on:
- Grants and discounts to help finance affordable warmth measures
- Energy efficiency
...and lots more!
Find out more from our Newsroom.
Find out more about consumer protection and government regulation on household and business energy from the OFGEM website.
Marches Energy Agency
The Marches Energy Agency is an independent charity supporting communities in the Midlands. The MEA delivers practical solutions to reduce fuel poverty and cold homes, promotes energy reduction, and encourages the uptake of renewable energy. Over 75,000 households struggle to stay warm in the areas it supports. With partners, it's working hard to tackle this.
Save Money Cut Carbon
The Save Money Cut Carbon website offers practical steps towards sustainable solutions for homes and businesses. This service helps deliver everything required to save money and cut carbon.
Warm Homes Fund
Over 300 households across Shropshire and Herefordshire are set to benefit from affordable heating thanks to funding from the Warm Homes Fund.
Grants and support for homes
Please see our funding opportunities page for any updates, which can be downloaded as pdfs.
- Emergency Central Heating Offer (ECHO): Provides gas boiler replacements. Residents must be in a ‘no-heat’ situation due to a broken boiler.
- Green Homes Grants: (Currently closed, local area delivery coming soon). Support to homeowners, tenants, and property owners to install air source heat pumps, insulation, storage heaters, double glazing, and high-performance doors.
- Keep Shropshire Warm: 0800 112 3743 or email Advice@mea.org.uk
- Marches Energy Agency: Provides support on fuel poverty, domestic energy and grants, assistance and advice for businesses and homeowners.
- Warmer Homes Shropshire: Grants to install first-time central heating, gas, or air source heat pumps where possible. For households without central heating (open fires, Rayburns etc). Available to owner occupiers and private tenants.
- OLEV grants: Home charging points for electric vehicles.