Advice for care homes
|The latest advice and information for care homes can be found on the Shropshire Partners in Care website.|
Since the outbreak we've worked, and continue to work, with care providers to ensure that they have the right support, and we've set up a dedicated task and finish group to oversee this. This includes working closely with Shropshire Partners in Care to remain in regular contact with all providers, and with a team of staff carrying out regular welfare calls, as well as making sure all providers have access to the information they need, and get answers to their concerns and questions.
This support has included:
- Assigning a clinical lead to each care home to offer clinical support, enhancing the care already provided by local GPs
- Virtual and face-to-face training for care staff on infection prevention and control and Covid-19 testing
- Putting in place local processes for accessing PPE and testing
- Providing bespoke advice on infection prevention and control
- Enhanced specialist support and advice for those treating Covid-19 positive dementia patients
- Working with care homes to improve access to the internet and mobile devices so that staff and residents can stay in touch with friends and family, and access virtual healthcare support safely
- Weekly welfare calls to each care home to identify specific needs and offer advice and support
- Weekly communications to provide key information on the support available, and any changes to government guidance
- Establishing care sector support teams, distributing grant funding, helping providers carry out risk assessments and setting up a redeployment group to meet staff shortages where needed
Care homes registered with the Care Quality Commission can order the PPE they need as a result of the pandemic from the government’s national PPE portal.
Help with emergency PPE supply
This is available for organisations requiring emergency PPE when 'business as usual' supply channels have been exhausted. It's for care sector providers such as GPs, care homes, domiciliary care providers and PAs, and is run collaboratively between Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin’s health providers and local authorities. Take a look at our PPE request form page for more information.