Other sources of support
Open Clinic (www.openclinic.org.uk) are running a limited appointment-only service by telephone until further notice. This is a precautionary measure due to Coronavirus. People will be seen face to face if essential, but will be telephone triaged first.
Please call 0300 123 0994 if you have a sexual health query. Phone lines may be busier than usual due to high demand for services.
If you’re aged 16+ you can order a free STI testing kit online. Find out more about this on their Online Testing page.
Free advice document
The Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare (FSRH) have launched a comprehensive advice document for women seeking sexual and reproductive healthcare, including contraception, during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Information for the public on what to do about contraception, emergency contraception, abortion, sexually transmitted infections, HIV and sexual assault during Covid-19 is on Sexwise. This includes links to other organisations providing information and support
Covid-19 help with food
Help for those on a low income or those who need help accessing free or low cost food: https://www.shropshirelarder.org.uk/
For support with housing issues: 0345 678 9005
Council Tax payment difficulties
If you're having difficulty paying council tax during the pandemic, please call 0345 678 9002 to discuss your circumstances.
Help with energy bills
At the national level, the government has been working with energy suppliers to respond to the impact of coronavirus. There is a recognition that the pandemic will impact on some people’s ability to pay for energy. If you're worried about paying your energy bills, you should contact your energy supplier in the first instance.
Depending on individual circumstances, support could include:
- Reassessing, reducing or pausing debt repayment and bill payments for people in financial distress.
- Referring customers who are struggling to pay to third party debt advisers.
- Suspending credit meter disconnections.
- Considering different options for those on prepayment metres.
The Energy Network online tool may help you find energy companies in your local area if you don't have the information to hand.
We can provide advice for anyone struggling to make payment for any pre-payment meters and in need of urgent support. Just call 0345 678 9078.
For less urgent support see:
- Keep Shropshire Warm is a partnership between Shropshire Council and the Marches Energy Agency. The scheme provides free and impartial energy advice to local residents through an advice line, home visits and community events, as well as funding for energy efficiency measures including all types of insulation, heating repairs or replacement and even free first time central heating grants. Telephone Marches Energy Agency on 0800 112 3743.
- Simple Energy Advice provides information on behalf of the government’s Department for Business Energy and Industrial Strategy. It includes advice about home energy efficiency, online tools and resources and available financial assistance. Phone 0800 444202 (Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, Saturday and Sunday 8am to 5pm).
- Shropshire Citizen’s Advice can also offer advice for those concerned about their finances and ability to pay household bills and other day to day costs. Phone 03444 99 11 00 (Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm).
- Age UK Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin can also offer advice for those of state pension age. During this challenging time their highly trained benefits advisors are continuing to offer information and advice on all aspects of welfare benefits. The charity can maximise income by checking benefit entitlement and assisting with applications. Phone 01743 233123 (Monday to Friday 9am – 4pm), email firstname.lastname@example.org
Help with water bills
Severn Trent have a number of schemes that can help you with your bills: https://www.stwater.co.uk/my-account/help-when-you-need-it/help-with-paying-your-bill/