Shropshire Council

Frequently asked questions

Search all

I need some advice on japanese knotweed. Can you help?

Japanese knotweed (Fallopia japonica or Polygonum cuspidatum) is a non-native, invasive species of plant, introduced into the UK as an ornamental garden plant in the mid-19th Century. It has since spread across the UK, particularly along watercourses, transport routes and derelict land areas.

Further information on identifying, handling and managing it, and other invasive plants, can be found on the UK government website.

What is the Safer Stronger Communities Shropshire Partnership?

The Safer Stronger Communities Partnership (Safer Shropshire Together) is the community safety partnership for Shropshire, made up of representatives from West Mercia Police, Shropshire Council, Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service, Clinical Commissioning Group and West Mercia Probation Trust.

It's committed to working with communities to tackle antisocial behaviour, reinforcing that Shropshire is a safe place for people to live, work and visit.

Who do I report antisocial behaviour to?

The Shropshire Safer Stronger Communities Partnership has an antisocial behaviour single reporting number. By reporting the problem to 0345 678 9020 it will ensure the correct people are told about the issues.

All calls to the single reporting line are treated in complete confidence.

When reporting an incident of antisocial behaviour, you will be asked to provide, where possible, specific details of the incident, including:

  • details of the date and time
  • what actually happened
  • who was involved
  • whether any other people were affected by it

If you feel there is an immediate threat or risk to life you must call 999, and the police will assess and respond appropriately to any clear emergency.

What is antisocial behaviour?

Antisocial behaviour can take many forms; it can be anything that causes harassment, alarm or distress, including playing loud music, graffiti, vandalism, offensive and threatening behaviour, harassment and intimidation or fly-tipping.

This can include

  • misuse of public space, for example substance misuse, begging, drinking alcohol in the street and vehicle-related nuisance such as on-street car repairs
  • disregard for other people, for example rowdy behaviour, noise, causing a nuisance in public (such as being drunk and disorderly or urinating in the street), hoax telephone calls and not removing dog foul from public places
  • acts directed at people, such as intimidation and harassment
  • environmental damage, such as vandalism, litter and rubbish and graffiti

What is not antisocial behaviour?

Behaviour which is considered reasonable includes:

  • noise from children playing in appropriate places at reasonable times
  • normal living noises such as toilet flushes and doors being closed
  • DIY, unless it's at unreasonable times of the day/night