Guidance for Shropshire businesses on how to report confirmed or suspected cases of coronavirus/Covid-19 in the workplace
If one of your employees or colleagues tests positive for Covid-19, or they start to have symptoms, there are some actions you need to take. The main symptoms include:
- High temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you don't need to measure your temperature)
- New, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or three or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
- Loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you've noticed you can't smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal
Who should I notify?
We're working very closely with Public Health England to ensure that we can support all businesses during this pandemic.
- Report a suspected outbreak of Covid-19 in the workplace (where two or more persons linked to the workplace have symptoms, and confirmed cases (where more than one person has received a positive test result for Covid-19), to Public Health England (PHE) by telephone to 0344 225 3560 (option 0, then option 2).
- At the same time you can also notify us via email: email@example.com
or by phone: 01743 251234, 9am-5pm seven days a week
- If you have a suspected case of Covid-19 in the workplace, you don't need to report this to PHE, but please contact Shropshire Council (details above) on the details above. We'll offer further advice and support to your organisation.
- You may need to submit a RIDDOR report. Covid-19 is a notifiable disease and there's a statutory duty under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR) for employers to notify the enforcing authority about cases of, or deaths from, Covid-19 which are associated only with occupational exposure. That is, as a result of a person’s work.
You must report applicable confirmed cases of COVID-19 to the HSE.
The reporting is in addition to notifying us and PHE, as detailed above.
Find out more about reporting, test and trace, and the support you'll receive regarding Covid-19 situations in the workplace.