Apply for free school meals
What you need to apply
To complete the online application you'll be asked to create an account with us (or sign in if you've already set this up). You'll then be able to complete the form, and as part of this you'll need to enter your national insurance (NI) number, or, if you're an asylum seeker, your National Asylum Seeker Service (NASS) number.
The qualifying benefits for free school meals are:
- Income support
- Income-based jobseeker’s allowance
- Income-related employment and support allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of pension credit
- Child tax credit (provided you’re not also entitled to working tax credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working tax credit run-on - paid for the four weeks after you stop qualifying for working tax credit. Proof of this will be required
- Universal credit - provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods
The Department for Education has permanently extended free school meal eligibility to children in all households with no recourse to public funds (NRPF), subject to maximum income thresholds. Please contact the FSM Team for details on how to apply under this criteria. Further information can be found on Gov.UK website.
If your child has transferred schools within the Shropshire Council local authority area and is in receipt of benefit-related free school meals, you don’t need to reapply – the entitlement automatically transfers to the new school.
For children who have transferred to a Shropshire Council area local authority school from an out-of-area school within England, and are in receipt of government (benefit-related) free school meals, please contact us regarding your free school meals claim.
What happens next?
- Your eligibility for government (benefit-related) free school meals will be checked online
- We'll email you with details of the result. The school that your child/ren attend will also be informed
- If you qualify for government free school meals a letter will be sent to you to confirm the award
- Entitlement to free school meals can't be backdated
- If free schools meals entitlement is awarded, please notify us of any changes to your home address