Shropshire Council

Apply for free school meals

What you need to apply

Please complete the online application. As part of this, you'll need to enter your national insurance (NI) number, or, if you're an asylum seeker, your National Asylum Seeker Service (NASS) number.

The qualifying benefits for free school meals are:

  • Income support
  • Income-based jobseeker’s allowance
  • Income-related employment and support allowance
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guaranteed element of pension credit
  • Child tax credit (provided you’re not also entitled to working tax credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
  • Working tax credit run-on - paid for the four weeks after you stop qualifying for working tax credit. Proof of this will be required
  • Universal credit - provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods

If your child has transferred schools within Shropshire LA and is in receipt of benefit-related free school meals, you don’t need to reapply – the entitlement automatically transfers to the new school.

For children who have transferred to a Shropshire LA school from an out-of-area school within England, and are in receipt of government (benefit-related) free school meals, please contact us regarding your free school meals claim.

Free school meals online application form

Apply for free school meals »

What happens next?

  • Your eligibility for government (benefit-related) free school meals will be checked online.
  • We'll email you with details of the result. The school that your child/ren attend will also be informed.
  • If you qualify for government free school meals a letter will be sent to you to confirm the award.
  • Entitlement to free school meals can't be backdated.