Apply for free school meals
The Council is now using a new system for free school meals applications that can provide an initial assessment of your eligibility automatically.
What you need to apply
To complete this form, you will asked to create an account with us (or sign in if you've already set this up). You will then need to fill in the online form.
As part of this, you will need to enter your National Insurance (NI) Number, or, if you are an asylum seeker, your National Asylum Seeker Service (NASS) number, and confirm that you receive benefits.
The qualifying benefits for free school meals are:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for the 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit. Proof of this will be required
- Universal Credit - provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods.
If your child has transferred from infant to junior school or primary to secondary school within Shropshire LA and was in receipt of benefit related free school meals prior to the summer holidays, you don’t need to reapply for free school meals – the entitlement automatically transfers to their new school.
For children who have transferred to a Shropshire LA school from an out of area school within England and are in receipt of benefit related free school meals please contact us regarding your free school meals claim.
Use our new system toApply for free school meals »
What happens next?
We will do another eligibility check and then email you with confirmation of your result. The school that your child/ren attend will be informed.