Public inquiry – land off Ellesmere Road, Hencote, Shrewsbury
- Period: 24 January 2023 - 26 January 2023
- Status: Closed
- Audiences: Everyone
- Topics: Planning
- Type: Public
- Location: Land off Ellesmere Road, Hencote, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY4 3AA
- Application ref. no: 21/05743/OUT
- Shropshire Council appeal ref. no: 22/03064/REF
- Planning inspectorate appeal ref. no: APP/L3245/W/22/3306381
A public inquiry is taking place into an appeal against Shropshire Council’s refusal of outline planning permission for the following development:
- A continuing care community (use class C2) comprising up to 182 units of extra care and close care accommodation with graduated care provision in the form of lodges and apartments
- A 75-bed nursing home and dementia unit
- An amenities building providing supporting care facilities, treatment / therapy rooms, fitness pool, restaurant, small shop and site management facilities, with open space, communal gardens, nature trails, landscaping, car parking and supporting infrastructure
Case management conference
The inspector appointed to hear this appeal held a case management conference (CMC) on 10 November 2022, with the representatives for the council and the appellant. No discussion took place on merits of the respective parties' cases, and no evidence was heard or submitted. The CMC discussed procedural matters only to ensure that the forthcoming inquiry is conducted in an efficient and effective manner.
Core documents and evidence submitted to the Planning Inspectorate
The core documents and other documents that are relevant to the inquiry, including proofs of evidence and statements of common ground, can be viewed on the website of the appellant’s planning agent, Savills.
About the public inquiry
An inspector has been appointed by the secretary of state and the appeal will be heard by way of a public inquiry. The inquiry will open on Tuesday 24 January 2023. It will sit from 24 January to 26 January 2023 inclusive, 31 January to 2 February 2023 inclusive and, if necessary, from 7-8 February 2023 inclusive. It will be held at Shirehall, Shrewsbury SY2 6ND.
The inquiry is being held in person and anyone can visit to observe proceedings or to make their views about the application known to the inspector. The event will also be live streamed on YouTube.