CPI Safety Intervention™ / CPI Verbal Intervention™ Training
The focus of CPI Safety Intervention™ Training and CPI Verbal Intervention™ Training is to ensure that staff gain the essential knowledge, skills and confidence to prevent, decelerate, and de-escalate crisis situations so that restrictive practices can be avoided.
Our training centre is Restraint Reduction Network Approved. Read our Reducing Restrictive Interventions Policy and Appendix 1 Easy Read Policy.
CPI Verbal Intervention™ Training
Recommended for staff who work in environments that require safe responses to escalating behaviours, but not restrictive or physical intervention techniques. Participants will learn how to:
- Respond to crisis situations with a focus on prevention, using verbal de-escalation skills and strategies where restraint is inappropriate
- Recognise signs of distress and gain a broad range of tools to help them intervene early to prevent conflict and escalation. They’ll gain a clear understanding of using the right skills at the right time to effectively de-escalate when conflict arises, so that a behavioural crisis doesn’t occur.
It is recommended that staff attend this course on a two-yearly basis to refresh their knowledge and skills. Refresher training will be available from January 2024.
CPI Safety Intervention™ Foundation Training
Recommended for staff working in health and social care who need to prevent and/or intervene in crisis situations.
- The programme includes all of the elements included in the Verbal Intervention™ programme. Starting with these skills participants learn simple behaviour assessment and decision-making skills to ensure escalation is avoided
- When faced with a behavioural crisis that places staff or others at risk of injury, participants learn how to focus on the least-restrictive physical intervention to ensure the care, welfare, safety and security of those in their care.
CPI Safety Intervention™ Advanced Training
Designed for organisations that support individuals who are more likely to demonstrate complex or extreme risk behaviours and require more advanced skills and restrictive or physical intervention techniques.
- The programme expands upon the Foundation level course, providing additional non-restrictive and restrictive interventions for risk behaviour, while maintaining an emphasis on preventative skills
- Provides effective tools and decision-making skills to help staff manage higher risk situations, offering a wider array of verbal and physical intervention options.
Please note, participants must complete the Foundation programme before undertaking this programme.
CPI Safety Intervention™ Refresher Training
It is a requirement that staff attend CPI Safety Intervention Foundation™ and CPI Safety Intervention Advanced™ Training (if applicable) on an annual basis to refresh their knowledge and skills. This is a mandatory requirement in line with the Restraint Reduction Network Training Standards for all courses that include physical skills practise.
Joint Training is licensed to deliver CPI Verbal Intervention™ and CPI Safety Intervention™ training to adult health and social care provider services within Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin. Regrettably, we are unable to provide training to workers outside these areas. The courses available are:
- CPI Verbal Intervention™ (self-led online learning plus 2.5 hour instructor led online learning session – no physical skills)
- CPI Verbal Intervention™ Refresher (2.5 hour instructor led online learning session – no physical skills or self-led online learning). This course will be available from January 2024
- CPI Safety Intervention™ Foundation with disengagement skills only (self-led online learning plus half day instructor led classroom-based session)
- CPI Safety Intervention™ Foundation Refresher with disengagement skills only (half day instructor led classroom-based session – no self-led online learning)
- CPI Safety Intervention™ Foundation for Shropshire Council Adult Social Care & Housing Teams only (disengagement skills only) (self-led online learning plus half day instructor led classroom-based session)
- CPI Safety Intervention™ Foundation Refresher for Shropshire Council Adult Social Care & Housing Teams only (disengagement skills only) (half day instructor led classroom-based session – no self-led online learning)
- CPI Safety Intervention™ Foundation with disengagement and holding skills (self-led online learning plus full day classroom-based session)
- CPI Safety Intervention™ Foundation Refresher with disengagement and holding skills (full day classroom-based session- no self-led online learning)
- CPI Safety Intervention™ Advanced with disengagement and holding skills (full day instructor led classroom-based session)
For charges please see the individual course information pages. Further information on charging groups can be found on the course costs page. Please note that the costs quoted are effective from 1st April 2023 and are subject to annual review.
We are also able to provide tailored training courses to the specific needs of your organisation on request.
To determine whether CPI Safety™ or CPI Verbal Intervention™ training is suitable for your service please contact email@example.com. If, having had an initial discussion you decide to proceed, one of our accredited trainers will work with you to complete a training needs analysis, which will enable us to determine the appropriate level of training for your service. Once this process has been completed, you'll be able to apply for course places.
View the available courses by clicking on the 'Find out more' buttonFind out more »