Shropshire Council

Undertaking a personal search

What is the difference between an official search and a personal search?

A personal search is a search of the register of local land charges, and doesn't include information from the Con29.

An official search made at the local authority has a statutory provision for compensation under the terms of the Local Land Charges Act (1975) section 10(3) if the local authority makes any error on the search. This provision doesn't apply when a personal search is carried out.

Procedures for personal search companies

The Local Land Charges department is based at Shirehall in Shrewsbury. To make an appointment for a personal search please telephone 01743 258716 and 01743 257741. To undertake the personal search you will need to attend the local Land Charges office in person to view the register.

For details of withdrawn or refused planning applications within the former Oswestry, north Shropshire, south Shropshire or Bridgnorth districts, please contact the relevant area office.

If an answer to a part of the Con29(R) is required, two options are available:

  • Complete the part Con29 (R) form and submit it to the Local Land Charges Department together with the appropriate fee, or
  • Obtain some of the information free of charge from the relevant departments. Please contact the appropriate department for their procedures.