The aim of the Sports Development Team is to encourage and enable everyone in Shropshire to benefit from participating in sport and physical activity. We do this by working in partnership with key agencies and local, regional and national providers to develop and improve opportunities for anyone to engage in sport regardless of ability.
Taking part in sport should be enjoyable at every level, and we support this aim by
working with our local sports clubs and community groups to involve as many people as possible in their communities. This can be done through participation, volunteering or coaching.
We also work closely with the County Sports Partnership to ensure that we have the most up-to-date information on new developments in sport and physical activity.
Together with Energize Shropshire and Telford and Wrekin Council, we want to provide coaches with better support to help find the right coaching opportunities, to help with coach development opportunities, and to value and recognise the work that coaches do.
Sports development officers
- Increase the number of volunteers at community sports clubs
- Assist clubs to achieve the Club Mark accreditation or the national governing body equivalent
- Identify opportunities for school-age leaders to link to a club environment
- Link schools with sports coaches and support the transition of young people into community clubs
- Support clubs and groups to write action plans that include continued development opportunities
- Help clubs identify and apply to the right funding streams
- Work with national governing bodies of sport and other partners to promote new opportunities and initiatives in Shropshire
- Sean McCarthy - sports development officer
Tel: 01743 255 933
Mob: 07990 085 557
- Marvyn Joseph – club and volunteer development officer (Telford and Wrekin)
Tel: 01952 382 332
Should you require any further information, please call Leisure Services on 01743 255071 or email firstname.lastname@example.org