Shropshire Council

Occasional use notice

Occasional use notices are to allow licensed betting operators to provide betting facilities at genuine sporting events (such as point-to-point racecourses and golf courses for major competitions) within the boundaries of the identified venue on a specific date, without the need for a full betting premises licence.

OUNs can be relied upon for a total of eight days or less over a calendar year. The eight-day limit applies to the venue not the individual submitting the notice. An OUN can be given in relation to consecutive days as long as each day is documented as in an individual OUN, for instance if your event was to cover two consecutive days, two OUNs must be submitted. Equally if your event runs past midnight on the first day of the event a second OUN must be submitted for the following hours protruding into the following day.

An individual may give an OUN if they're the owner/occupier of the track. In this instance, the person administering the gambling under the OUN must have a Gambling Commission operating licence (licensed bookmaker). It's the responsibility of the organiser to ensure that commercial betting facilities at meetings are provided lawfully.

An occasional use notice can be submitted by the occupier of the track or the Gambling Commission licensed operator.

What is it for?

To allow betting on a track for eight days or fewer over a calendar year without the need for a full premises licence.

Who needs one?

1/ The owner occupier of the land- of which the gambling must be administered by a Gambling Commission licensed operator. 2/ The Gambling Commission licensed operator.

How much will it cost?

This is no cost for this licence.

What will I need before I apply?

  • Intended location
  • Date
  • Times
  • A copy of the notice must also be sent to the chief officer of police for the area in which the premises are situated

Apply now

Download the form, complete it on your home computer, and email it to

Download an application form

Download the form, print it out, fill it in and post your application along with the fee if applicable to:

The Licensing Team, Shirehall, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY2 6ND

Download an application form