Section 14 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 allows for the temporary closure of a Public Right of Way on the grounds of public safety to enable the applicant to carry out works. Following application, an order is made and advertised to close a route for a specified period, initially for up to six months (although this may be extended). Where possible an alternative route is identified for users and described in the notice erected at either end of the closed route.
The following is a list of current temporary closures:
- BW 54 Adcote Mill Bridge (GR SJ 4338 1958) - extension to closure from 4 May for six months
- FP 2 Morville, from the County Rd at The Lye GR SO6762 9306 north along the Mor Brook to the sewage works at GR SO6716 9365 and the section along the east side of the Mor Brook to the footbridge GR SO6730 9349 for repairs to the footbridge - extension to closure from 4 May for six months
- FPs 3 and 40 Aston Botterell and FPs 36 and 40 Stottesdon at The Ford, Aston Botterell – Footbridge closed for repair at SO 6538 8476 from 9 December 2015 for 6 months along FP nr Ford Farm easterly then south easterly to County Road at SO 6638 8396 and from the closed bridge easterly towards Wall Fulong Farm. Alternative route available along FP running between Ford Farm and Newton Farm and then south to Wallfurlong Rough and the County Road at SO 6638 8396.
- FPs 23A/24A (parts) Chelmarsh at The Astbury Golf course from GR SO 7243 8849 running generally north easterly then easterly through The golf course to meet the B4555 at GR SO 7294 8875; and approximately 270 metres of FP 23A from GR SO 7276 8865 where it leaves the B4555 running generally north westerly through the golf course passing Crateford Barns to GR SO 7264 8886 where it joins the golf course access road, from 1 April 2016 for six months during construction works within the golf resort (refer to planning permissions 14/00794, 14/03609 and 14/04010 for details of the works). Alternative routes are available for FP 24A/23A by following the site boundary parallel to the B4555 and to the south of the definitive line between GR SO 7243 8849 and GR SO 7294 8875; and for FP 23A by following the access route off the B4555 at the main entrance to the resort at GR SO 7295 8865 generally NNW to meet the remainder of FP 23A. Please note that the closure will require an extension after the initial six months period for an additional 18 months.
- FPs 24 Kinnerley from GR SJ 3042 1944 at Mill Cottage generally northerly for approximately 1330 metres where it meets the county road at GR SJ 29952043 and continues from the other side of the road as FP 25 running in a semi-circle for approximately 250 metres to rejoin the same county road at GR SJ 30082056, will continue after 1 December 2016 for a further six month period to 1 June 2017, to allow the Environment Agency to continue carrying out repairs to the flood embankment of the river Morda. An alternative route is available using the minor road network running generally parallel to the east of the footpath through Pentre Perfa.
- FP 278 Rushbury from its junction with Bridleway 277 at GR SO 5167 9186, running generally easterly crossing a dismantled railway line and continuing to Roman Bank and its junction with Bridleway 279A at GR SO 5258 9159, a distance of approximately 970 metres, on the grounds of public safety until 23 November 2016 due to the poor condition of the footbridge crossing the Eaton Brook at the western end of the route which requires replacement. There is no alternative route in the immediate vicinity other than using the county road from Rushbury south easterly to Roman bank and then northerly along Bridleway 279 from Chapel Croft to its junction with the closed path and vice versa.
- BW 35 (part) in the parish of Caynham where it leaves Belfry Close (off Tenbury Road) in Clee Hill at GR SO 5941 7494, running in a general north easterly direction for approximately 115 metres to the parish boundary with Coreley at GR SO 5949 7501 will continue from 16 December until June 2017. An alternative route will be made available by the developers between the same grid references following perimeter of the field in a general north westerly direction for approximately 100 metres then then turning south easterly for approximately 35 metres to meet the parish boundary.
- That part of Bridleway 8, Market Drayton from SJ 6631 3485 where it leaves Restricted Byway 8 (Rush Lane), running easterly to cross the A53 at SJ 6637 3486 and continuing from SJ 6639 3484 south easterly to SJ 6647 3480 just before reaching the field boundary, a distance of approximately 185 metres, on the grounds of public safety during the construction of a new traffic roundabout off the A53 from 1 September 2016 until 1 July 2017. An alternative route is available from the junction of BW 8 with Restricted Byway 8 at SJ 6631 3485, running southerly along this route to SJ 6635 3473 where it enters a development site and crosses the site in a general east-north-easterly direction to SJ 6647 3480 and vice versa.
- Approximately 280 metres of Footpath 19 Shrewsbury where it leaves Kemps Eye Avenue (grid reference SJ 49561119) and runs generally easterly to cross the railway via a bridge, then generally south easterly to a junction with Footpath 110 and Hazeldine Way (grid reference SJ 49771105) during works to refurbish the Network Rail footbridge. An alternative route is available between the same grid references travelling north along the footways to Links Road then right into Brook Street and on to join Sussex Drive, then right along the footpath passing the sub-station and right into Montague Place and across the railway via a footbridge to join Footpath 110 running south by turning right into Buttercup Way and continuing along Primrose Way and then southerly across a field to exit onto Hazeldine Way and vice versa. This closure has been extended until 3 April 2017 as further works are required to the bridge.
- FP 17 (part) Prees, where it leaves Moreton Street at SJ 5569 3360 between a water tower and ‘Crud y Gwynt’, running easterly for approximately 320 metres to a field boundary at SJ 5602 3358 from 30 January 2017 until 19 February 2017 on the grounds of public safety to allow water main renewal works to be undertaken. Alternative routes are available using the local road network via Moreton street and Lacon Street to the south of the footpath and Moreton Street and Primrose Lane to the north.
- FP 20 Much Wenlock, from SO 6181 0042 running generally north-north-westerly for approximately 20 metres to SO 6180 0043 from 21 November 2016 until 28 April 2017 during works to realign a watercourse in connection with the Much Wenlock Flood Alleviation Scheme. An alternative route is available using a temporary footpath and footbridge which will be constructed adjacent to the closed section.
- FP 42 (part) Baschurch, from GR SJ4266 2133 running in a general south easterly direction for approximately 152 metres to GR SJ 4272 1198 will be prohibited with immediate effect on the grounds of public safety due to development of the site for housing through which the footpath runs. There is no alternative route in the immediate vicinity other than using the local county road network – Prescott Road to the west of the path and the B5067 to the south.
- FP 50 (pt) Wistanstow, the level crossing which carries Footpath 50, Wistanstow, (between Wistanstow and Craven Arms) from GR SO 4301 8389 for approximately 15 metres over the railway to SO 4303 8389 on the grounds of public safety with effect from 28 November for six months to allow Network Rail to investigate alternative arrangements for the footpath crossing of the railway.
For further information please contact the Rights of Way Mapping and Enforcement Team or Customer Service Centre on 0345 678 9006.