Shropshire Council

Appeal a parking fine

If you don't think you should have been given a penalty charge notice by us, the first step is to challenge the issuing of it. If you intend to challenge, don't make or send payment. A payment will close the case down and we'll be unable to investigate. 

Any challenge about the issue of a penalty charge notice must include the following:

  • Your full name and postal address, including postcode
  • The penalty charge notice number, which must be quoted on all correspondence
  • Your vehicle registration mark
  • The reason why you think the contravention didn't occur
  • Any written evidence to support your case

You have two opportunities to appeal, depending on its stage of progression:

Informal challenge - to be made prior to the issue of a notice to owner. If you make your challenge within 14 days of the date on which the PCN was issued, and your challenge is rejected, the discount period will be reset for a further 14 days from the date of the rejection letter.

Raise an informal challenge... »

Representation - to be made after the issue of a notice to owner. If the PCN isn't responded to within 28 days of the date on which it was served, a notice to owner (NTO) will be sent.

If you've received an NTO and wish to make a representation »

You can find further information in our customer charter and procedures and grounds for the cancellation of penalty charge notices page.

Can I submit a written challenge?

If you don't wish to use the online appeal form, you can send a written challenge, including the above details, to Shropshire Parking Service, PO Box 4751, Shrewsbury, SY1 9GL.

Shropshire Parking Service will aim to respond within 10 working days. If you haven't received a written response within 17 days to confirm if your challenge has been accepted or rejected, please contact the customer service centre on 0345 678 9019 to check we've received your challenge and if we've responded. We would strongly advise that you keep track of your challenge and the 10 working day response timescale. Responses to your challenge will be deemed to have been received unless the contrary is proven.

Find out more about the appeal process.