Shropshire Council

Name a property

Any property owner can name their property, as long as the name chosen doesn't conflict with an existing property name in that locality. From 1 April 2017 there will be a charge for this service.

If your property has a house number, it won't be possible to replace the number with a name. However, a name can be used in conjunction with the original number.

Property owners are asked to email their request to us (, detailing the existing address and two suggested names, accompanied by a location plan.

When we get your request, we'll contact Royal Mail to ensure that they have no objections. If Royal Mail don't object, we'll let you know and contact other interested parties, letting them know about the name change. If Royal Mail do object, we'll let you know and ask you to think of alternative names.