Some types of waste can be potentially harmful for example they may be flammable, corrosive or toxic. This includes:
- Some chemicals (eg poisons, paints, solvents)
- Some electrical items (eg fridges and low energy lighting)
- Some car products (eg engine oil and car batteries)
- Asbestos (eg corrugated garage roofs)
What to do with hazardous household waste
Always handle hazardous waste with care. Please do not put any hazardous waste in your general rubbish - take it to your nearest household recycling centre (HRC) instead.
Specific advice about asbestos
If you want to take small quantities of asbestos to a HRC you must call us in advance on 0345 678 9007 so we can arrange for you to collect wrapping materials free of charge from the recycling centre. Please don't just turn up with the asbestos.
When wrapping the asbestos:
- Wear a dust mask and overalls
- Keep sheets intact - never break them up
- Wrap the asbestos in the strong plastic provided and seal with tape
- Take it to the HRC and place the asbestos in the clearly marked red skips
What types of asbestos are accepted?
We will only accept small quantities of cement-bonded asbestos eg from corrugated garage roofs. If you have large quantities of asbestos, or asbestos from a commercial building such as a farm, you must hire a professional contractor to deal with it.