Appointment of independent persons under the Localism Act 2011
Shropshire Council has a duty to promote and maintain high ethical standards in the conduct of members of the Council and of the parish/town councils in the area. This involves the adoption of a Code of Conduct with which such members are expected to comply. Shropshire Council is obliged to put in place local arrangements to deal with complaints which allege that a member has breached the Code of Conduct. It is also obliged to appoint “independent persons” under the Localism Act to support these arrangements.
A vacancy has occurred in one of our two Independent Person roles and Shropshire Council is seeking to appoint an individual whose role:
- will involve being consulted by the Council before a decision is made on an allegation that it has investigated.
- may involve being consulted by the Council on allegations that it has decided not to investigate.
- may involve being consulted by a member or co-opted member against whom a complaint has been made.
- may involve being appointed to serve on a panel asked to advise the Council on the proposed dismissal of the authority’s Head of Paid Service, its Monitoring Officer or its Chief Finance Officer.
- Will be to become involved in the Independent Remuneration Panel to recommend the level of allowances paid to members of Shropshire Council and the Town and Parish Councils in Shropshire.
Appointments are likely to be for a term of four years and previous experience in this area is not required. This is an unpaid position although travelling expenses may be claimed. There are restrictions on who may apply for this role and these are set out in full within the application pack.
For any further information please contact Tim Collard, Monitoring Officer on 01743 252756 or e-mail email@example.com.
Application forms must be returned by 31 January 2023.
How to apply
If you are interested in being an Independent Person, please contact Graham White by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org for an information pack and application form.
Shrewsbury SY2 6ND