Shropshire Council

Requesting your own EHCP (16-25 year olds)

Once you've turned 16, you're legally entitled to make a request for an EHCP needs assessment for yourself. You can do this:

  • On your own following our guidance
  • With help from a friend or family member
  • With help from someone who helps you, such as a teacher, personal assistant or care worker

Many young people with special educational needs will need less support as they move towards greater independence. The majority of their support needs should be met through resources already available within the further educational setting. Additional support that may be needed to enable a young person to be fully prepared as they move into adult life will be identified and planned for through the ‘preparing for adulthood’ process from Year 9. 

For a minority of young people moving to or within further education the provision of an education, health and care assessment may be necessary, and considered as a result of the principles and process set out in the guidance and criteria document.

What do I need to include with my request?

If you're a young person submitting your own request for an assessment please attach the consent form with your request. You may wish to also submit the one-page profile and/or any professional educational reports with your request, as they may aid us in any subsequent assessment process.

Where do I send my application?

Once you've completed your application, send it, together with the above paperwork, to:

SEN Team
Assessment request
Shropshire Council
Abbey Foregate

If you need to discuss your submission or have any queries, contact us using the details on our 'Who should I contact?' page. 

Alternatively, support is available from the Information, Advice and Support service, which offers advice and guidance on initial concerns about a possible SEN, through to more complex issues. Conferences, support groups, training, leaflets and other services are available, as well as one-to-one support.

What happens next?

The requests and attachments will be sent through to the SEN team securely. A panel will decide, based on the information provided in the request, whether an EHC needs assessment should be undertaken. If the assessment does go ahead, the child/young person and family will be assigned an assessment coordinator who will coordinate the assessment process, and provide advice to support the family during this assessment period. If the outcome of the assessment is an EHCP, this plan will be completed and issued within 20 weeks of the date the SEN Team received the request for assessment.

If it's decided that an EHC needs assessment won't take place you'll be informed of this decision within six weeks of us receiving the request. You'll also be provided with details about what you can do if you disagree with our decision. 

For a more detailed breakdown of the process please see pages 10-15 of the guidance and criteria document (Draft EHC Process Map section) attached to this page.