Shropshire Council

Higher education (HE)

Your school or college should help you plan early for your transition into higher education by providing you with information and support.

If you have an education, health and care plan this will cease when you leave further education and move to higher education. You can make a request to the SEN team to forward your EHCP to the university or higher education provider.

Disabled students allowance

The Gov.UK information on higher education student finance can provide you with help regarding the support you may need in higher education they will also provide guidance and information on how you can make an application for The Disabled Students Allowance (DSA).

The disabled students allowance (DSA) may be available to help you with the extra costs you may incur. Applications for DSA should be made at least six months before the start of the academic year in which you commence your placement, or as soon as the student finance application service opens; this can vary each year. 

To enable your well-planned transition to higher education it's important that you apply as early as possible.

Social care

If you're receiving social care support, and where this may continue, please discuss this with your social care representative and your school/college, which will support you when planning your transition into higher education.  

Higher education – further information

You can find out more from the Higher Funding Council for England and the Department for Education.