Shropshire Council

What do I do if I think my child has a SEN(D)?

You should discuss any concerns that you have with someone in you child's school. This is likely to be your child’s class teacher. It's always a good idea to make an appointment to speak to them. This will ensure that you have the necessary time, and will provide you with the opportunity to discuss your concerns in private. It's important that you tell them the reasons why you're concerned, and ask what will happen next. You may also want to speak to the school's special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCo). All schools must have a named SENCo.

Your child’s school will contact you if it has concerns about your child’s progress in any area. The school must tell you if they're making special educational provision for your child, and should discuss with you what support they'll offer and what will happen next. The school should also advise if it's considering placing your child on the SEN register.

The school may also ask you if an 'early help' assessment has been undertaken. This may happen if your child has SEN in the area of social, emotional and mental health, or if there are other services working with your family to provide support. If you already receive early help support it's important that the school is aware of this so that it can contribute to the early help process.

The school may suggest that an early help assessment is completed. This will help to identify any other help that may be available to support your child and/or your family.