Shropshire Council

Citizens Advice

Introduction to the Citizens Advice service

We help people find a way forward

We can all face problems that seem complicated or intimidating. At Citizens Advice we believe no one should have to face these problems without good quality, independent advice.

That’s why we’re here: to give people the knowledge and the confidence they need to find their way forward - whoever they are, and whatever their problem.

We give advice to millions of people

Our network of independent charities offers confidential advice online, over the phone, and in person, for free. You can find out how to contact your local Citizens Advice in Shropshire on our website or by ringing our Adviceline on 03444 991100.

When we say we’re for everyone, we mean it. People rely on us because we’re independent and totally impartial.

We give advice on many issues including:

  • Welfare benefits, employment, housing and consumer rights
  • Our debt team provides specialist advice on managing your money and dealing with your debts
  • We support witnesses in courts through the Witness Service
  • We give pension guidance to people aged over 50
  • We host the Shropshire Information Advice and Support Service (IASS) which acts as a first point of contact for parents and carers of children and for young people aged up to 25 who have special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) or related health and social care needs

In Shropshire in 2018/19, we helped over:

CAB statsCAB stats

We speak up for our clients

No one else sees so many people with so many different kinds of problems, and that gives us a unique insight into the challenges people are facing today.

With the right evidence, we can show big organisations – from companies right up to the government – how they can make things better for people.

We see how problems can be linked. By helping people with the underlying cause of their problems and making sure they don’t get worse, we save the government and public services hundreds of millions of pounds every year.

We also look out for people as the statutory consumer watchdog for the energy and post industries. We show where things are going wrong and how to help make it better for people.

We make a difference

Last year we helped to solve the problems of 70% of the people who we gave advice to directly. 80% said that our advice had helped them find a way forward and 90% would recommend us to a friend.