Shropshire Council

Personal budgets

An introduction to personal budgets in Shropshire for young people and children aged 0-25 with an education, health and care plan (EHC plan).

What is a personal budget?

A personal budget is an allocation of money that can be used to meet some of the outcomes agreed in an education, health and care plan (EHC plan) for a child or young person (aged 0-25) with a special educational need or disability.

Update on SEND Personal Budgets:

In our area, the implementation of Personal Budgets is monitored by a Group of Local Authority and Health staff.

We meet every six months, to count Personal Budgets and to deal with Issues as they arise. From that, we know already that SEND Personal Budgets have more than doubled since January 2017. The most recent count takes us close to 800.

Between now and March 2020, we are planning to have two workshops to look at how Personal Budgets are incorporated into Education, Health and Care plans.

We then intend to review the two policy documents linked to on this page. We also wants to have a closer look at the difference Personal Budgets make to children and their families.

Who can request one?

Young people and parents/carers of children can request a personal budget once we've confirmed that we intend to prepare an EHCP. If you already have an EHCP, or a statement of special educational need, you can request one at the time of the annual review. Although all young people and parents/carers of a child with an EHCP, and those who are in the process of being assessed for one, can request a personal budget, not everyone will be eligible.

All requests will be considered individually and in line with our personal budget policy. The policy explains what type of support may be included in a personal budget. If it's not possible for you to have one the reasons will be explained to you. A personal budget can apply to education, health and/or social care outcomes.

We're working with the Shropshire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and families and young people to develop our approach to personal budgets. You'll be asked if you'd like to be considered for one when a decision has been made to prepare (or review) an EHCP.

A personal budget for educational provision doesn't include funding for a school or college place. Generally, it also doesn't include specialist support that can be provided by a school or FE setting.

How do I request one?

Speak to the person who is preparing (or reviewing) your EHCP and a member of the council’s Special Educational Needs (SEN) team will contact you to discuss your request.

How are personal budgets managed?

In Shropshire, there are four ways to manage a personal budget:

  • Direct payment: this means that you receive the money to buy and manage services yourself. Alternatively, you can nominate someone you trust to do this on your behalf
  • Managed fund: this is where an arrangement can be made with us or the clinical commissioning group (CCG), so that they will manage the personal budget and organise the service agreed in the EHCP for you. You can still retain some choice and control of the service being organised for you
  • Third party arrangement: this is where money can be paid directly to the service and you make your own arrangements with the service provider. Alternatively, a local organisation can manage the budget for you
  • A combination of the above options

Where can I find more information about personal budgets? 

Find out more from our SEN team:

  • Email:
  • Phone: 01743 254366

You can also contact the Information Advice and Support Service:

Or the Citizens Advice service:

For funding advice, take a look at the Department for Education's Making it Personal leaflet.