Shropshire Council


We all have a duty to protect children and vulnerable adults. Abuse can be in many forms, including the following:

  • Emotional abuse
  • Sexual abuse
  • Child sexual exploitation
  • Neglect
  • Physical abuse

Concerned about a child?

If you suspect that a child or vulnerable adult is experiencing any of the above or is at risk of being harmed, it's vital that you report it. 

Your initial reaction may be to dismiss it and just hope it’s not true. But it’s vital that you report your concerns if you feel a child may be suffering. If you don’t report your concerns, it could mean that the neglect will continue.

Whether you are the child’s parent, relative, family friend, neighbour or a professional, don’t let anything stop you from protecting a child.

How do I report a concern?

If you think a child or young person is being harmed or at risk of being harmed you must contact the First Point of Contact (FPOC), Children's Services and tell them your concerns. Don't delay, please contact us straight away - we are here to help you.

Please report your concerns to FPOC on 0345 678 9021.

If you need to report concerns out of office hours then please contact the Emergency Social Work Team on 0345 678 9040 selecting option 1

If you are a professional reporting concerns then you will need to follow this up in writing using the Multi-agency Referral Form (MARF).

Alternatively, you can report your concerns online to the NSPCC via the 'NSPCC website'.

You can also speak to:

  • Protecting Vulnerable People (West Mercia Police): 0300 333 3000
  • NSPCC: 0800 800 5000
  • Childline: 0800 1111

If a child is in immediate danger

If you believe a child or young person in Shropshire to be at immediate risk of harm or in need of emergency medical attention call the emergency services on 999.

For the very latest information and advice about safeguarding children visit Shropshire Safeguarding Community Partnership.