Independent travel training
Enable services work with Shropshire Council's Specialist Transport Team to provide travel training for young people with special educational needs. Travel Training gives young people the confidence and skills to travel independently on buses, trains and walking routes. Travel Training is tailored to the individual and is based around a journey they will be making regularly. This might be to work, college, school or to a leisure activity.
What to expect:
- A specialist travel trainer who works with the trainee on a one-to-one basis
- A full assessment and plan agreed by all involved
- Starting by travelling together the trainer makes sure the person becomes familiar with the route and has the skills to do it on their own before support is faded
- Development and assessment around personal safety
- An agreed strategy of what to do when things don’t go as originally planned
“We can’t believe it – from going nowhere by herself, Ellie now goes to college every day by getting two buses each way on her own. Enable supported her every step of the way and made sure she was safe and capable at each stage. Not only has this greatly increased Ellie’s self-confidence, it has made us realise she can achieve many more things. Thank you.”
If you want to know more about travel training, please contact Enable on 01743 276 900.