Shropshire Council

What happens to my rubbish?

In 2020-21 only 4% of rubbish was sent to landfill, with the remaining 96% sent to the energy recovery facility in Battlefield, Shrewsbury. Your rubbish was then used to generate electricity to power 10,000 homes. Our short video explains how the plant operates to turn rubbish into a resource.


Veolia monitors and publishes details of the emissions from the plant.