Starting infant or primary school
Children can start school in reception at the beginning of the academic year following their fourth birthday.
Therefore, children born between 1 September 2018 and 31 August 2019 can start primary school from September 2023.
Applications should be made online. There are some guidance notes available on this webpage to help you make your application. If you have any queries or encounter any difficulties completing your application, please contact the School Admissions Team through email - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that the online facility is open from 2 November 2022. You must apply by 15 January 2023.
Applications received after the 15 January, without exceptional reasons, are considered late. Late applications will not be processed until all the applications received on time have been allocated. This may result in your child not being offered a school place at you preferred school. Please indicate if there is a reason the application is being made after the closing date (eg a house move).
ApplicationsApply here »
If you reside in England but not resident of Shropshire authority, please refer to who to apply to. Telford local authority residents must apply via Telford and Wrekin Council.
- Applicants from either overseas, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland can use the Shropshire website to make an application for a Shropshire school.
- Shropshire Council now has a new portal for making school applications. So, if you have previously applied for a school place online, you must create a new account in the new portal.
- If an application is made through this portal from a resident in another English authority other than Shropshire it will be discarded.
- Shropshire parents can apply to schools outside of Shropshire. If the school you wish to apply to isn't there please email email@example.com with the name of the school, and we'll get it added.
When making an application points to consider include:
- Please ensure you read the Parent’s Guide to Education in Shropshire. This guide provides all the correct information to help you make your application.
- Are you in the catchment area for your preferred schools? You can view catchment area maps to check.
- Is the school you are applying for an oversubscribed school and do you understand the admission arrangements for your preferred school(s). Are you aware of the infant class size restrictions? You can view how school places were allocated in previous years on our website.
- How will your child get to school, will they be entitled to free transport?
- If you are naming schools outside of Shropshire on your Shropshire application, you will need to contact the appropriate local authority for the information on school admission arrangements in their area.
- The importance of naming more than one school on your application particularly when not applying for your catchment area school.
Ensure that you are happy with the application before you submit it. The online portal does not allow you to change your application once it has been submitted and downloaded by the Admissions Team.
National Offer Day - 17 April 2023
The day the results of your application are released is a national day meaning that the results of all applications made in England are known on the same day.
On this day you will be able to log into account to view the outcome of your application. You will also receive an email advising you of the school your child has been allocated.
- Please note - It is not possible to apply to change your child’s current school, via in year (mid term) applications using this system. You must complete the in year (mid term) application form and then send it to all of your preferred schools