Shropshire Council

Land charges FAQs

About the Local Land Charges team

We carry out searches on properties and land to identify the existence of any 'charges' that may affect the property. This information is usually required by mortgage companies, and is part of the legal process of buying or leasing property.

What is a local land charge search?

A local land charges search is required to ensure that a purchaser of land or property is aware of obligations or 'charges' held on the Local Land Charges Register against that land or property. The word 'charge' is used to describe a burden imposed upon the land or property which is binding on successive owners or occupiers. 
A local land charge search is carried out when a property is advertised for sale, leased or remortgaged and is usually carried out by your solicitor.

What does a local land charge search consist of?

The LLC1 is the official certificate that deals with all the charges recorded in the Local Land Charges Register. These charges include, for example: grants, tree preservation orders, financial charges, listed buildings, and conservation areas.

The conveyancing form (Con 29) deals with proposed issues such as proposed road schemes, drainage, environmental matters, proposed tree preservation orders etc. This form deals with matters that are not held on the Local Land Charges Register. The form is divided into two parts: Con29 (R) and Con29 (O). 

A search will only give information relating to the property and/or land identified on the plan; it won't give information relating to adjoining or nearby properties.

How much does a land search cost?

Please see the land charges fees page for more information.

Where do I find land ownership information?

For general land ownership requests please contact the Land Registry at Telford.

Where do I find information about council-owned land?

For information regarding land owned by us, for example schools, parks, libraries and other property, please contact our Estate Services team.

Where do I find land ownership information for roadways?

Contact details can be found on our Highways pages.

Can I cancel a search once I have requested it?

Unfortunately, it isn't possible to cancel a search once it's been submitted.

Where do I send my drainage enquiries?

Several drainage companies operate within Shropshire. For sites in the Shrewsbury, Bridgnorth, Oswestry and south Shropshire areas, please contact Severn Trent at:

For sites in north Shropshire, please contact the following companies:

  • United Utilities, United Utilities Group PLC, Haweswater House, Lingley Mere Business Park, Great Sankey, Warrington, WA5 3LP
  • Welsh Water, P.O.Box 10, Treharris, Cardiff CF46 4XZ
  • Severn Trent Water, Conveyancy Services, P.O.Box 6187, Nottingham NG5 1LE

For information regarding roadways including footways, grass verges, hedges, ditches and trees please contact Highways Development.

How do I find out about the Land Charges Financial Summary?