As part of the ongoing preparation of the Site Allocations and Management of Development Plan (SAMDev) Plan, Shropshire Council is now consulting on a set of draft Development Management Policies.
The consultation runs for 8 weeks closing on the 28th March 2013.
What are we consulting on?
This consultation document includes the following:
- 16 draft Development Management policies;
- examples of potential settlement strategies for the market towns and key centres and Community Hubs and Community Clusters
The document does not contain any information relating to site allocations for future development.
The draft policies can be viewed individually by selecting the relevant attachments at the bottom of this page, or if you would like to view all the draft policies together select the 'whole document' option.
The following documents are also included below for information:
- Sustainability Appraisal
- Consultation and Soundness Statement
- Glossary of Terms
- Habitat Regulation Assessment Stage 3
What will the draft Development Management Policies be used for?
When adopted these policies will sit alongside the 20 policies in the Core Strategy and will replace the remaining 117 'saved' policies from the previous Local and Structure Plans leading to a radically simplified planning policy framework against which planning applications will be judged.
How to comment
This consultation allows everyone the opportunity to have their say on the 16 draft Development Management policies. There are a number of ways to make comments:
We are encouraging people to make their comments via the 'Survey Monkey' on-line questionnaire which you can access via the link at the bottom of this page.
Alternatively if you wish to make your comments via e-mail please send them to
firstname.lastname@example.org (please subject your e-mail SAMDev Draft Policy Consultation)
There is also a Word version of the questionnaire attached to this page if you wish to respond this way.
If you wish to send your comments to us by post please send them to:
You can keep informed via Facebook. To find out more, log on to Facebook and search for ‘Plan My Shropshire’.
Where to view the Draft Development Management Policies
You can view the draft polices by selecting the relevant links on this page. Alternatively reference copies of the consultation document will be available at your local Library, Customer First Point and will be on display at Council offices within normal opening hours in:
- Shrewsbury: the Shirehall and Guildhall
- Bridgnorth: Westgate
- Ludlow: Stone House
- Oswestry: Castle View
- Wem: Edinburgh House
What is the SAMDev?
The key purpose of the SAMDev Plan is to:
- Identify sustainable growth targets for Shropshire's market towns
- Identify Community Hubs and Community Clusters in the rural area where some further development will happen
- Identify appropriate sites for future housing and employment development in market towns, community hubs and community clusters
- Provide additional Development Management policies which can be used in the consideration of planning applications
In 2012 the Council consulted on a 'Preferred Options' version of the SAMDev Plan, which included information on both preferred site allocations and a range of Policy Directions. Information on this stage of consultation, including the documents we consulted on, can be viewed via the relevant link on this page.