Shropshire Council


Submit one day - start the next...

Find out more about our next day application service »

Where building regulations are applicable to your building works you have two options available, either 'full plans' or 'building notice' applications, either of which can be applied for using our application form. If you're unsure about which type of application is most appropriate, please take a look at our explanation of the two application types on this page.

If you'd like to apply for building regulations and avoid form filling, please ring our business support team on 01743 258 710 to make a telephone application. We can help you with the fees, and you can pay by card during the phone call.

Full plans applications

This involves the submission of detailed plans and other relevant information, which is then checked to ensure compliance with the building regulations. If satisfactory, an approval notice is issued.

Where the proposals are found to be unsatisfactory a building control surveyor will contact you in writing in order that the plans can be amended. In certain circumstances there may be no alternative but to reject the plans (ie where the plans indicate a contravention of the regulations, or contain insufficient information for assessment purposes).

Advantages of a full plans application

Building notice applications

The building notice allows for building work to be undertaken without the submission of detailed plans. It's commonly used when the type of building work is straightforward, and the people responsible for the construction have a reasonable knowledge of the regulations.

A building control surveyor may request further information, such as structural design calculations or construction details. The work will be inspected as it proceeds, but you won't receive any official decision notice confirming that the proposals have been passed.

Advantages of a building notice application

  • you can save time and money by not having to prepare and submit detailed plans

Visit the Planning Portal for more information on building notice applications

For any additional help you need with your building control application, please don't hesitate to get in touch using the contact details on this page.

Before embarking on a building regulations application, you may wish to familiarise yourself with the regulations themselves and what they're for.

Visit the Planning Portal for further information on planning permission, as opposed to building regulations.