Complaints about schools and academies
Since 1 September 2003, governing bodies of maintained schools and maintained nursery schools in England have been required, under section 29 of the Education Act 2002, to have and make available a procedure to deal with complaints relating to their school and any facilities or services that the school provides.
However, some complaints about specific issues are not handled by this procedure, for example:
- complaints about home to school transport
- complaints the National Curriculum
- complaints about safeguarding
- complaints about the curriculum of religious worship
- complaints about admissions or exclusions appeal procedures
- complaints for which separate procedures exist
The Local Authority or the school will be able to provide details of the procedures that should be followed in these cases.