Ludlow Supports Refugees - latest news
Quakers Meeting House meet-ups
Saturday 3pm-5pm, St Marys Lane Ludlow SY8 1DZ. We have a lot more toys, and books for children to peruse, and books to take home to read, and if there is anything that is needed for children at home please let me know, and we will try to find what you are looking for toys, books, equipment or equipment.
We have quite a lot of social activity going on through August please try attend if you can, and if transport is an issue just let us know.
Facebook group – Ludlow Supports Refugees
The Facebook group was set up a couple of weeks ago. A really good way to get messages to hosts and guests about activities and other information, and very importantly to make contact with one another. So please do sign in, post, and get involved.
English and conversation lessons
English Lessons – these continue to run at the Quakers Meeting House, St Marys Lane Ludlow SY8 1DZ on:
- Tuesday mornings – 10am–11:45am (three levels of classes)
- Wednesday evening - 6pm-7:45pm
- Thursday afternoon -1:30pm–3:15pm (three levels of classes)
With all of the English lesson classes, it would be helpful if you are able to confirm your attendance with Jacki Moore email firstname.lastname@example.org or mobile 07929656545
- Saturday morning English conversation sessions for more able speakers with Sylvia Duffy from 1.30pm–3pm, attendees can then stay for the afternoon gathering if they would like to
- English conversation – If you're a less competent speaker we can offer 1:1 support on Saturday mornings
- English assessments (for potential new students) Saturday 3pm-5pm
Please can you contact Jacki Moore to book onto one of the above sessions, unless you have already agreed this at a previous lesson. Jackiamoore@gmail.com or mobile 07929656545. If it's more convenient for you to change your lesson day please inform Jacki. Hosts, please can you remind your guests of this.
Rail Travel, Buses and Co Wheels
- Transport for Wales will give free travel on their trains which travel in Shropshire. The journeys can be within Shropshire, they don't have to start or finish in Wales. The refugees must be from Ukraine and show their passports and acceptance letters from the Home Office
- Arriva (bus service) and community transport providers have agreed to provide free travel for Ukrainians fleeing the war. Passengers will be asked to produce their passport and boarding pass/card to access free travel. If you don't currently have a bus pass and need some help to get one please contact Peter Higgins – email@example.com, alternatively phone Peter on 07757 989708
- Co Wheels - if you need to book a car for an important journey, visit the Co Wheels website - this is a pay as you go rental scheme and is based in Ludlow and Shrewsbury
Shropshire Council's Enable team will be helping people to find employment, write CVs and application forms, understand the types of employment available locally etc. We have our next face to face session with Stephanie Dowen on Saturday 13 August, 3pm-5pm.
If you're looking for employment but cant make a Saturday, you can contact Stephanie directly:
Social and support events
We have two free-of-charge family-friendly events in Ludlow based at the Ludlow Assembly Rooms – Oscars studio (1, Mill Street, Ludlow SY8 1AZ). The Assembly Rooms are right in the centre of Ludlow, opposite the market. Please bring your own snacks and water. There's a café on site, and also lots of places in the town to pick up sandwiches or a meal if required.
Two workshops followed up by a Brightstar boxing session for children aged 11+
Friday 5 August 10am-3pm - this is being delivered by the the Children’s Society.
10am–midday - this session is aimed at guests, hosts and volunteers, and is a workshop aimed at raising awareness and understanding of the exploitation of refugees.
1pm-2pm - this session is aimed at young people and explores sensitively, issues around exploitation and youth safety.
2pm–3pm - a taster session delivered by Brightstar Boxing, a local Shropshire charity which will conduct a taster session for boxing and a fitness session for young people. This will be a fun event and it would be lovely to see as many people as possible.
Circus skills workshop
Saturday 6 August 1:30pm–3:30pm for ages 7–18, including learning skills such as juggling and using walking globes. This will be a really fun session for children and teenagers.
Date for your diary – picnic planned for Saturday 13 August in the afternoon at a garden in Haytons Bent. Thank you to Bernie and David Lock for offering up their garden.
Please bring your own picnic and we'll supply the ice cream! Further details will be forwarded in due course, but please email or say on Facebook if you'd like to attend.
We may be able to provide some lifts to guests if transport is an issue. Please contact Peter Higgins: email firstname.lastname@example.org or mobile 07757989708
Craft activities for children during August (at the Quakers Meeting House)
One of our Ukrainian guests, Irina, has very kindly offered to deliver craft activities to children up to three days per week during the summer holidays, starting week beginning 1 August. Irina is very experienced at working with children, and will provide activities such as drawing, modelling, origami, gym, sports and board games. This will take place between 11am and 3pm, and children will need to bring a packed lunch and a drink. We'll try to help with transport if necessary. There will be further details on the Facebook group in the near future.
Transport to and from your home
This is proving to be a major barrier for guests to attend lessons, find work and socialise independently. We have a small number of volunteers who are willing to transport people to appointments, and we're going to look into the Community Car scheme which may prove beneficial in supporting the volunteer base. We'll keep you posted on progress, but please ask us if guests are struggling to access appointments, Peter Higgins is acting as our volunteer transport coordinator, and we're looking for volunteers who are able to help with lifts from Brown Clee, Cleobury Mortimer, Church Stretton, Clee Hill, Bishops Castle, Church Stretton and the other rural hinterland on the Herefordshire borders.
Peter's contact details are: email email@example.com or mobile 07757989708.
Please call Erica on 07974 001310 for further information on any of the above.