Shropshire Council

Complaints about third-party providers

Some public services are delivered on our behalf by a third-party provider, including, for example: 

  • Domiciliary care through a private agency
  • Registered care homes
  • Contracted agencies and multi-agency services
  • Housing support services
  • Voluntary sector health and care services

These bodies are expected to have their own complaints procedures and deliver good practice in complaints handling. Where a complaint is made about a service provided on our behalf it's our responsibility to ensure that complaint is progressed in the right way. Complaints are also part of the contracting procedure with third parties, and are monitored by us.

Complainants should give the service provider the opportunity to try and address their concerns at an initial stage before the complaint is made more formal. Complainants can complain directly to the council if they wish.

If your care is provided by an independent provider, for example a care agency or private residential home, but it's commissioned by our Adult Social Care Services team, your complaint can be handled as a provider complaint, in line with our Adult Social Care Complaints Procedure.

Similarly, if you wish to complain about children’s social care services delivered by a third party on our behalf, your complaint will be handled under the Children’s Services Complaints Procedure.

To make a complaint about a third party provider

  • Complete and send the webform
  • Email:
  • Phone: you can make a new complaint by phoning our customer service centre on 0345 678 9000 or by speaking directly to our statutory complaints officer on 01743 256188
  • Write to: Statutory Complaints Officer, Feedback and Insight Team, Shropshire Council, Shirehall, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY2 6PH

Self-funded care and care purchased with direct payments

We don't have responsibility for your complaint should you have concerns about the above, but we may be able to signpost you to local support to assist you in acting on those concerns. If you wish to make a complaint and you arrange your own care privately you should complain to the service directly, or to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman. If you have a complaint about the service you've purchased through a direct payment, you'll need to speak directly to the service provider or employee. You can also complain to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman.

Any safeguarding concerns should be reported as soon as possible. You can find out more about keeping people safe on our 'Concerned about someone' page.

Other feedback

We'd like to hear your views on third-party provider services. You may have a comment or a compliment. We like to hear when you feel a service has exceeded your expectations as well as when things haven't gone so well. Use the same contact details above to make comments and let us know about compliments too.